[b-hebrew] Other languages in the Tanakh

Trevor Peterson 06peterson at cua.edu
Tue Nov 11 08:00:49 EST 2003

This is a difficult question to answer, partly because words from other
languages can come into a text by various means. Is a true loanword
considered an instance of a foreign language in a text, or does that
word now belong to the language in which it is found? Even the idea that
a proper noun is a foreign word has problems. I used to work in
Cheektowaga, NY. It's not a word that originates in English, but I have
no idea how accurately it represents the Native American term. Plus,
that's the only name by which any English speaker calls the town, so in
that respect, it's an English name. I would say all of these things are
different from what we see with Aramaic, where the language is fully
used to write significant portions of the biblical text.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics