[b-hebrew] elohim, meaning and referents

beb beb at tolstoy.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Nov 10 03:59:23 EST 2003

Can anyone help me in a matter of meaning and referent with the word ELOHIM(Forgive me if I have not transcribed this correctly for this list)?
My questions are: Does this word have a 'basic' meaning and if so what is it? Secondly, when we look at such lexicons as Brown-Driver-Briggs-Gesenius and it mentions "judges" and "angels" is this indicating the _meaning_ of the word or its _referent_ in any given Biblcal scripture?
In anticipation of your help,
Rebecca E Barnard