[b-hebrew] Arial & Times New Roman fonts

Peter Kirk peterkirk at ozemail.com.au
Sun Mar 30 01:23:20 EST 2003

Hi, Jim. Any relation? My ancestors are from Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire
in northern England.

The best solution to your problem would be to get Ezra SIL installed on the
university's computers. I guess you have good reason if this is part of your
studies. If you are talking about Word documents, you can set up your
computer to embed the font in the document (under Tools - Options - Save in
Word 2002), which means that the font is temporarily installed when the
document is opened and so probably prints OK. This is the next best
solution.

It sounds like when your documents are opened the university computers are
substituting a font (using the same code points as these are all Unicode
fonts, it's only the character shapes which are bad or not what you like),
and not making the best choice. Maybe they are substituting Arial or Miriam.
So, as a third alternative, try changing the font to David, or to Times New
Roman. They should give reasonable results with uncantillated text, though
TNR has some problems with holem.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/