[b-hebrew] Arial & Times New Roman fonts

Peter Kirk peterkirk at ozemail.com.au
Sat Mar 29 06:14:41 EST 2003

Susan, which version of Windows do you have? The versions of these fonts
provided with 2000 and XP do indeed support Hebrew, according to the Unicode
standard - quite well with consonants, some problems with vowel points
especially holem, no cantillation marks. I think these upgraded fonts are
downloadable for other Windows users from somewhere at the Microsoft site.
If you run the Character Map (in Accessories - System Tools in Win2000) you
will be able to see which characters you have in these fonts on your system.
The fonts David and Miriam, which I think come with Internet Explorer, give
rather better Hebrew support. There are several alternative Unicode
compatible Hebrew fonts available, inlcuding Ezra SIL which is a free
download from www.sil.org and supports fully cantillated biblical text (with
some problems which should be ironed with the next release of Microsoft
Office).

Your problem might be fixed if you configure Microsoft Office (2000 or XP)
and/or Internet Explorer on your system to support Hebrew. There may also be
an OS configuration required though I think Windows 2000 and XP
automatically come configured for all languages.

But more probably, Susan, your problem is that you are using QUALCOMM
Windows Eudora Version 5.1 (from the header of your e-mail). To display
Hebrew e-mail correctly you need mail client software which supports Unicode
and right-to-left text display. Maybe Eudora doesn't, or maybe it needs to
be configured or upgraded to do so. Recent versions of Microsoft Outlook and
Outlook Express (the latter probably came with your computer, as part of
Internet Explorer) do provide adequate support, so you may need to switch to
one of these.

For more on Hebrew computing issues, you and others might be interested in
the Hebrew computing discussion group at
http://www.geocities.com/jewishgroups. Most people in that group are
interested in modern Hebrew. There may be someone there who can tell you if
it is possible to configure and upgrade Eudora, and if so how.

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/