[b-hebrew] words for fool

Yigal Levin Yigal-Levin at utc.edu
Wed Mar 19 16:06:36 EST 2003

At 02:52 PM 3/19/2003 -0600, Daryl F. Jefferies wrote:
>Jim,
>
>M.V. Fox lists "...in a continuum from ingrained moral defect and
>unchangeability to relative innocence and improvability": 'ewil,
>letz, kesil, hasar leb, ba'ar, and peti (Anchor Bible, Prov. 1-9, pp.
>38-39).  I'm not sure which one is used for senility...

Actually, none. "Senility" comes from the Latin and means "old age". In
Hebrew (as in other ANE cultures), age (ziqnah) was taken for wisdom, not
foolishness or forgetfulness. Modern Hebrew was forced to adopt the English
(pronounced "seniliyut").

Yigal

Dr. Yigal Levin
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion