[b-hebrew] DSS Tense Aspect Mood

goranson at duke.edu goranson at duke.edu
Sat Mar 1 06:37:36 EST 2003

Thanks for your reply, Ken.

Though I suppose we could agree that sources should be used carefully,
that Josephus mentions fate, among other things, is no big problem. My
JJS article on his sources (Posidonius via Strabo, etc.), not cited in
yours, deals with this; see also, e.g., R. Argall in the George
Nickelsburg FS, if interested. Essenes do have predestination
interests as Qumran confirms; Pharisees, or at any rate Rabbis, with
all is forseen yet freewill is given, match the middle range;
Sadducees, the smallest, with Torah limits fit freewill OK, for
starters. Of course Josephus selects and colors--but all sources do;
and we know his biases better than many others. I could go on about
this, but it's maybe not b-hebrew stuff, so won't, unless you wish, or
offlist.

A few more very preliminary comments on your interesting proposal. On
p. 6 of 10 you mention a "certain" form, "certain" meaning. I guess
you mean certain as in particular, specified, given. But the other
meaning--sure, secure--came up in my mind as a question. In other
words, how can you be certain of a meaning (TAM=tense, aspect, mood?
if so, perhaps spell out). In other words, your project is to figure
out how verbs are used and how to understand them. How then can you
determine this, then quantify, then analyse, in order to be certain of
a meaning (and/or the absolute or relative time) you already decided
in the previous step? In other other words, in cases where a sentence
can arguably be read two ways, how do you decide before entering in
your database? Or will you have as part of your calculus, the
certainty, relatively, of your various imputs? Or leave out or process
separate iffy cases? Maybe I missed something.
Typos: Riechenbach-->Reichenbach
Puech pub. Llecoffre-->Lecoffre
Zevit no hyphen

best,