[b-hebrew] Job 12:16 interpreted in context of Is. 45:7

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Thu Jul 31 17:32:19 EDT 2003

Dear J. Raymond Kelley:

$LWM is a word for which I am struggling to find an English equivalent. So far “fullness” is the best I have thought of.

It is my understanding that modern Hebrew uses it for “peace”, and it is thusly often translated from Biblical Hebrew as well. However, as far as I can tell, in BH the word specifically for “peace” is $Q+. Peace is only one componant of “fullness”.

The verb $LM    shalam     has the meaning of “to bring to fruition, to fulfill, make full”. This is not the same as ML)    mala    which is the filling of an empty container, such as a jar with oil, rather this is the fullness that is meant when it is said that a person has had a full life, full of blessing.

Is there a one word in English that fits the Hebrew meaning?

Karl W. Randolph.