[b-hebrew] Re: weal and woe

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Thu Jul 31 16:59:59 EDT 2003

It is clear throughout Scripture that God brings punishment and correction to individuals, families and nations, even the whole world, but that is not “evil”. On the other hand, such punishment or correction while it occures, is not pleasurable, rather it is displeasing. We would far rather not deal with it. The punishment often takes the form of troubles, even calamities, that God allows.

God is displeased with evil, so the theological meaning of R( is often understood as “evil”, but the root meaning is “displeasing”, from the verbal root R((. While Scripture tends to use the theological meaning more than the root meaning, sometimes the root meaning gives a better translation such as in Isaiah 45:7.

Similarly, the verb X+A   chata    almost always has the translation of “sin”, but its root meaning is shown in Judges 20:16. The slingers didn’t “sin”, rather they didn’t “err, miss the mark”. This is the only case in Tenakh where the root meaning is clearly shown, but recognizing that root meaning helps understand other passages as well.

Karl W. Randolph.