[b-hebrew] Job 12:16 interpreted in context of Is. 45:7

Jim West jwest at highland.net
Thu Jul 31 16:32:15 EDT 2003

At 03:08 PM 7/31/03 -0500, you wrote:

>The reason I started reading Tenakh in Hebrew was because of words like
that: archaic and no longer understood.

Understood, but not by some.

>I translate Is. 45:7 thusly, "Former of light and creator of darkness,
maker of fullness and creator of displeasure, I am YHWH the one who makes
all of these."

I don't understand fully how you render r'a as "displeasure".  Is it
contextually accurate?  Further, what other occurences of r'a would merit
such a rendering?  "evil" or "wickedness" seem to be the standard
understanding and are a tad more forceful, it seems to me, than
"displeasure" which sort of sounds like a softening of meaning based on a
theological preconception about God.

Best

Jim

Jim West