[b-hebrew] Job 12:16

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 31 16:05:43 EDT 2003

On 31/07/2003 12:47, Jim West wrote:

>At 12:22 PM 7/31/03 -0700, you wrote:
>

>>On 31/07/2003 10:44, Jim West wrote:
>>
>>No, I don't recall it. There is nothing in my Bible about God making red
>>marks on my skin. This isn't even in KJV. What is it, Wyclif? What do
>>you mean? Please use English or Hebrew, not some obsolete form of
>>English which I don't understand.
>>

>what are these red marks?  do you by chance mean something like welts?  and
>i cant help what you dont understand.
>
>but, re the notion that God brings trouble into the world- take a look at
>the following brief examples:
>
>Is 24:1,
>Is 45:7 (where God says- I create evil)  (hmmmmmm.....)
>Jer 13:16
>Jer 18:11
>etc....
>

>Im sure, Peter, if you try you may even be able to find some of these sorts
>of texts on your own- unless your welts hinder you.
>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
>Jim West
>Quartz Hill School of Theology
>Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies
>
>Biblical Studies Resources
>http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

See http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/weal: from the WordNet
dictionary, "weal" is defined as only "[n]  a
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/a> raised
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/raised> mark
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/mark> on
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/on> the
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/the> skin
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/skin> (as
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/as> produced
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/produced> by
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/by> the
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/the> blow
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/blow> of
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/of> a
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/a> whip
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/whip>); characteristic
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/characteristic> of
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/of> many
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/many> allergic
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/allergic> reactions
<http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/reactions>", with "welt" as a
synonym. Webster's 1913 dictionary gives as its third meaning  "

A <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/a> sound <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/sound>, healthy <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/healthy>, or <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/or> prosperous <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/prosperous> state <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/state> of <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/of> a <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/a> person <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/person> or <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/or>
   thing <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/thing>; prosperity <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/prosperity>; happiness <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/happiness>; welfare <http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/welfare>.

", and quotes Milton: "To him linked in weal or woe". I wasn't aware
before that the Bible quotes Milton ;-)

And yes, if I had known this was RSV I could have found the reference.
Or I could have searched the dozen or more translations on my computer.
Mind you, I wouldn't have found it if I was looking for a psalm as
suggested!

peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/