[b-hebrew] Holem-waw in Unicode

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Sun Jul 27 17:10:15 EDT 2003

On 26/07/2003 11:48, Karljürgen Feuerherm wrote:

>Aha. I will do this for the time being. It is a simple matter to do a global
>replace later if we conclude that the distinction should not be made.
>
>The fact that Christians and others BOTH have the distinction is one thing.
>I wonder (and I think you asked this question on the Unicode list) whether
>the distinction goes back to the Masoretes. If not, then it is at some level
>a later artificial imposition, in the same way that (to my mind) the
>'invisible Yod' proposed on the Unicode list would be (and as such would
>represent an inappropriate emendation of the text).

I  think I asked  this question on this list as well, but I didn't get
an answer, although I know some on this list have access  to the
facsimiles. So I will ask again:

BHS makes a distinction (clear in Genesis 4:13) between consonant waw
plus holam and the compound vowel holam  waw - the holam is positioned
differently. The Mechon Mamre online text also makes the distinction. Is
this difference actually clear in the Leningrad codex or in other
Masoretic MSS? Or is it a later construct?

peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/