[b-hebrew] Genesis 15:6

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Sat Jul 26 12:25:28 EDT 2003

On 26/07/2003 08:44, waldo slusher wrote:

>... then there is no place in
>all of Scripture, as far as I can tell, where Abram's
>"conversion-faith back in Ur" is ever mentioned.

If, as you indicated before, you include the New Testament in "all of
Scripture", then you have missed Hebrews 11:8-9. Here it states that it
was "by faith" that Abraham obeyed God's call and moved to the "promised
land". This doesn't say whether he first had this faith in Ur or only in
Haran. But, at least from the perspective of the author of Hebrews,
Abraham's faith is implied  by his obedience to God in Genesis 12:4-5.

I would be interested to know whether Jewish tradition refers to Abraham
having faith in Ur or Haran.

peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/