[b-hebrew] Gabriel

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Fri Jul 25 12:11:07 EDT 2003

On 25/07/2003 08:54, Jim West wrote:

>At 04:50 PM 7/25/03 +0100, you wrote:
>

>>A friend has asked me if I can throw any light on the Hebrew roots of
>>the name Gabriel (Dan 8:15, 9:21).
>>

>"warrior of God" or "strong one of God" or more precisely, "warrior of El".
>

>>I'm aware that there are various alternatives suggested, but wondered
>>if people here had any views which might contribute to a fuller
>>understanding?
>>

>well, gibbor means warrior and el is the name of the canaanite god.

Maybe, but there is no dagesh in the bet and no O vowel in Gabriel. So
the first part is more likely GEBER "man" (as distinct from women and
children) than GIBBOR. The second E in GEBER is "anaptyctic", thanks Ken
for this word, i.e. added for ease of pronunciation, and the first vowel
may originally have been A. So I would go more for "man of El". Which is
in fact exactly what BDB said.

peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/