[b-hebrew] Variant forms of vav with holem

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Fri Jul 25 07:02:08 EDT 2003

I received the following from a contact in Israel:

>Vav Holam may convey two meanings, either just a vowel or a consonant Vav
>with the vowel Holam.
>
>Some typographers differentiate these two meaning, many do not. I don't now
>if there is any Masoretic basis for the distinction or if it is late, and
>whether it is consistently used in those texts that do make the distinction.

I don't know either. Can someone answer this? There is a typographical
distinction in the printed BHS (and an encoding distinction in the
Michigan-Claremont-Westminster text. But is there actually a distinction
in original MSS like L and Aleppo?

peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/