[b-hebrew] Genesis 1:5

Frank Polak frankha at post.tau.ac.il
Fri Jul 25 06:15:09 EDT 2003

I n my view the cardinal )xd serves as ordinal (the ordinal for 'first'
varies extremely in all semitic languages, in sharp contrast with the
toher ordinals and the rather fixed mode of the cardinals). My
reference is to:
S. E. Loewenstamm, “The Development of the Term “First” in the Semitic
Languages,” Comparative Studies in Biblical and Ancient Oriental
Literatures
(AOAT 204; Kevelaer: Butzon & Bercker; Neukirchen-Vluyn: Neukirchener
Verlag, 1980), pp. 13-16.
Loewenstamm notes that  [a] in the string ‘the first day, the second
day’ Ugaritic [Kirta epic] has ‘ym wTHn’, without the first ordinal;
[b] for the phrase ‘on the seventh day’ Ugaritic uses the cardinal ‘mk
b$b( ym’ [order being indicated by the cardinal].
Hence the phrasing of Gen 1.5 is an instance of poetic language in
Gen.1. For those interested, the view of the Creation Account as a
prosaic revision of a hymn is urged in my paper “Poetic Style and
Parallelism in the Creation Account (Gen. 1.1-2.3),” in: Creation in
Jewish and Christian Tradition (ed. H. Reventlow and Y. Hoffman;
JSOTSup 319; London: Sheffield Academic Press, 2002) 2-31.
Frank Polak

On Friday, Jul 25, 2003, at 00:59 Asia/Jerusalem, Bearpecs at aol.com