[b-hebrew] Joshua 17:11-12

Dr. Joe Sprinkle (office) jsprinkl at tfc.edu
Thu Jul 24 23:53:42 EDT 2003

JOS 17:11 Within Issachar and Asher, Manasseh also had Beth Shan, Ibleam and the people of Dor, Endor, Taanach and Megiddo, together with their surrounding settlements (the third in the list is Naphoth).JOS 17:12 Yet the Manassites were not able to occupy these towns, for the Canaanites were determined to live in that region.

I have a question about this verse.  How is it that Manasseh has territory "within" (preposition Be) the territory of Issachar and Asher?  It seems strange language. I would have expected it to be within Manasseh's territory.  Asher's territory is NW, north of Carmel along the coast. Anyone with a more elegant solution?

Joe Sprinkle