[b-hebrew] Genesis 1:5

Bearpecs at aol.com Bearpecs at aol.com
Thu Jul 24 17:59:17 EDT 2003

I'll need to check some references (I think Speiser addresses this), but my off-hand recollection is that using the cardinal number "one" in an ordinal sense ("first") when it's in the context of a list is known in other Semitic languages. (Anyone have the Ugaritic handbook handy?)

Cf. English: "He's been on this email list since Day One" means "He's been on this email list since the first day."  It does not mean "He's been on this emmail list since one day."