[b-hebrew] Re: organic language learning (was: "Basic question on Qal, Piel, and Pual")

Sameer Yadav sameer_yadav2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 24 01:04:21 EDT 2003

Michael,

Your illustration is poignant, and I agree that a
language is best studied in conjunction with its
living tradition.

However, I wonder if you could make the relation
between the legitimate study of a classical language
and its living tradition more explicit.  Does the
inability of a scholar to interact with the living
tradition invalidate his contribution to the study of
its classical predecessor?  If so, why?

And if it does not *invalidate* it but in some other
way undermines it or weakens it, then how, exactly?
Is such an unfamiliarity an Achilles heel to studying
classical Hebrew *in principle*, or must each
scholar's contribution (originating from a lack of
familiarity with modern Hebrew) be examined
individually?  If the latter, then precisely which
points of neglect have the tendency toward errors in
judgment regarding a linguistically adequate
description of classical Hebrew?

This is not intended as a rhetorical way of refusing
to take the problem you raise seriously, but as a
request to focus the nature of the problem, so that,
if legitimate, I can know what to do about it.

Thanks,

Sameer