[b-hebrew] Hebrew with Aramaic, Phoenician etc in scholarlypublications

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Sat Jul 19 22:26:40 EDT 2003

Peter:

I recognize that what I'm suggesting here has a limited use, namely for
inscriptions, ostraca and a reconstruction of how Tenakh would have been written
before the adoption of the Aramaic square characters. I have no intention of
replacing the Masoritic text with all its points and cantilation marks. I claim that
there is room for both.

If all one wants to do is to display the paleo-Hebrew text to the screen and printer,
then one can do as what previous posts mentioned even as I have already done,
namely give glyphs only to the displayed characters, the sofits having the same
glyphs as the non-sofits and don't worry about the underlying encoding. But there
is also reason to encode the text cleanly in paleo-Hebrew/Phoenician. Let's not
limit ourselves to one or the other.

Karl W. Randolph.