[b-hebrew] Re: Phoenician alphabet

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Sat Jul 19 21:27:01 EDT 2003

Ken,

The earliest alphabetic inscriptions were from that time period, however, their
glyphs were very different from paleo-Hebrew or Phoenician. However, it is my
understanding that the Phoenician writing does not show a transition from that
very ancient writing to the glyphs with which we are familiar, while Hebrew history
has the Hebrews having spent time in the area where such inscriptions have been
found, then a period of time during which we have found no inscriptions but
occasional references to writing (in other words, no transitional forms there either)
then the earliest examples where both Phoenician and paleo-Hebrew have the
glyphs that we can recognize as antecedant to Greek and Latin. Others correct
me if I am wrong, but I understand that the Phoenicians used cuneiform at the time
tradition says Moses was writing the Torah using the alphabet.

Karl W. Randolph.