[b-hebrew] hebrew fonts

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Sat Jul 19 09:35:33 EDT 2003

On 19/07/2003 06:03, Jim West wrote:

>The SBL has a working group which is hashing out all this unicode vs.
>whatevercode stuff.  You guys should check into it.  Your contributions
>might be better put to effect there than here, where we can do nothing about it.
>
>I speak only for myself but technical computer geekdom isn't really the
>reason I signed on to this BIBLICAL hebrew list.
>
>best to all,
>
>Jim
>
>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
>Jim West
>Quartz Hill School of Theology
>Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies
>
>Biblical Studies Resources
>http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

Sorry to overload the list with geekdom. I guess it will only be for a
day or two. I know this group can do nothing about this. But the groups
that can are severely lacking input from real users of biblical and
other non-modern Hebrew - and they know it and have asked for more
input. A message to this group can elicit responses from many such
people, indeed it already has and will probably elicit more, hopefully
from Jewish list members, when the Sabbath ends.

I don't know anything about this SBL working group. Do you have any
contact details? I know that SBL is represented on the group which made
the proposal, so maybe this is the SBL working group. Well, the problem
here is already clear in the name: the Society for BIBLICAL Literature
is not the place to go to find out about post-biblical Hebrew. Well, nor
is this list, but I don't know of an alternative, except for the Hebrew
Computing list which is overwhelmingly for modern Hebrew users - but I
did send my posting there as well.

peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/