[b-hebrew] A threat to the integrity of the Hebrew language?

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Sat Jul 19 08:53:03 EDT 2003

On 19/07/2003 05:05, Jason Hare wrote:

>Kirk,
>
>I kinda wanted to avoid this topic b/c of its
>complexity. I use Unicode (via Charsets) in writing my
>webpages since I deal with Hebrew. I see the
>difficulty involved in using the present Israeli fonts
>because I have to use ALT functions to insert vowels.
>It's quite problematic (yet, do-able), but I can see
>value in upgrading the whole of the system so that it
>is more functional. HOWEVER, should that upgrade
>include a separation from modern Israeli typesetting
>in Unicode? I would venture that it should NOT. And my
>reasoning behind it is like others on the list...
>continuity. I already have four keyboards installed on
>my system (EN GR AR HE), so to use yet another to
>distinguish between Israeli and Biblical Hebrew is a
>little out-of-the-way and sordid, if you ask me. I
>should hate to have to DOUBLE code my pages (or make
>duplicate pages... or some other absurd solution) so
>that I can use both Israeli and Biblical Hebrew on my
>site!!
>
>Thanks for the info,
>Jason Hare
>
>jason at jhronline.com
>http://www.jhronline.com

Thank you, Jason. Part of your problem could be solved by defining and
using a non-standard keyboard package, e.g. the one available (for the
PC) with the SIL Hebrew Unicode Font System (www.sil.org) plus Keyman
(www.tavultesoft.com). But such a solution would be broken if the
proposal goes ahaead to distinguish modern and biblical Hebrew.

peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/