[b-hebrew] A threat to the integrity of the Hebrew language?

Trevor Peterson 06PETERSON at cua.edu
Fri Jul 18 14:28:24 EDT 2003

>===== Original Message From Dave Washburn <dwashbur at nyx.net> =====
>When it comes to words like yerushalaim, I have typed this word dozens of
>times in a regular TTF simply by a little creative use of the furtive patah.
>Most fonts that I know of include variations on the vowel points in order to
>align with narrow letters and such, and I would hope that Unicode fonts do
>something similar.  So I suspect that the means to resolve these minor issues
>already exists without creating a whole new set.

Peter can probably give a more intelligent answer here, but in my limited
experience using Unicode fonts so far, I don't think there are alternate forms
of vowel points built in. But if I understand correctly, the issue here is not
whether multiple points will fit but what order they come out in. It sounds
like there's something in Unicode that automatically sorts these multiple
"diacritics" in a certain order, so that they end up misconfigured.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics