[b-hebrew] Hebrew with Aramaic, Phoenician etc in scholarlypublications

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 17 20:03:41 EDT 2003

On 17/07/2003 16:16, Karl Randolph wrote:

>Actually, I have something similar on my Macintosh at home. I downloaded the Online Bible consonant only text and made a quick reconstruction of a paleo Hebrew font to fit it. It looks sort of like what such a manuscript may have looked like: the sin and shin look the same and the sofit glyphs are the same as the non-sofit glyphs, but the underlying code is still modern.
>
>As far as I know, the Online Bible is the only version that has the option of a consonant only text, at least for the Macintosh. The main thing keeping me from taking that text and re-encoding it in paleo-Hebrew is that there is no such encoding in unicode yet.
>
>Karl W. Randolph.

Well, it's debatable in Unicode whether paleo-Hebrew should be
considered a variety of Phoenician which will (see
http://www.unicode.org/roadmaps/smp/) probably sometime be encoded in
the block 00010930-0001094F  (and it's pretty certain that in that case
the order of characters will be very like the proposal
http://www.evertype.com/standards/plane-1/ph.html), or whether it is
considered a variety of Hebrew in which case the paleo-Hebrew letters
are considered glyph variants of the modern Hebrew ones. The latter is
certainly the safer choice at present. Perhaps you can get together with
Jim West to re-encode his paleo-Hebrew font, see
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest/fonts.html, with the appropriate Unicode
encoding. If you simply assign zero width blank glyphs to all the
vowels, cantillation marks etc, any Unicode Hebrew text (e.g. the
cantillated Bible text from http://www.mechon-mamre.org/) will
automatically come out how you want it. You may even become the first
person for more than 2000 years to actually read the Bible in this
script. Exciting, but I'm not sure how practical.

peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/