[b-hebrew] Prov 21:4

Ben and Jo Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 17:28:19 EDT 2003

On Tue 15 Jul 2003 (23:59:30), bearpecs at aol.com wrote:
> My interpretation was that the lamp burns through the night so  that
> (a) anyone who awakens has a night light, reflecting her caring even
> while she sleeps; and (b) in the morning, the oven/hearth can be lit
> and the  breakfast cooked, baking commence, water heated for washing,
> etc, (all the  necessities of a well-ordered household), without
> gathering kindling and rubbing  sticks together or going to borrow a
> light from the neighbors.

 You're absolutely right; a careless housewife would let the flame go out
 overnight, causing much consternation and activity before things can be
 got going again the next morning.

 This is a beneficent use of a lamp; contrast the malevolent use implied in
 Prov 21:4.

 Ben
 <ben.crick at argonet.co.uk>
 http://www.cnetwork.co.uk/crick.htm