[b-hebrew] Hebrew with Aramaic, Phoenician etc in scholarly publications

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed Jul 16 15:37:01 EDT 2003

As one who does not know cuneiform nor Akkadian, I most certainly would like to see the original form as well as the transliteration now that it is within unicode’s capability. At the very least it would force me to sit down and learn these writings, whereas now I can be lazy and hope the transliterations are accurate.

I also would like to see Tenakh in paleo-Hebrew, where the sin and shin are the same letter, where none of the sofit letters are found and where the spaces between words were written with dots. To the lexicographer, it may suggest connections where presently there are divisions based on modern (since Second Temple) Hebrew. For example, P$(  (peh sin eyen) has the meaning of to step, while P$(  (peh shin eyen) has the meaning of to rebel, step out of line. There are other words where I have found similar connections. To have them split apart as in modern Hebrew, the computer, which is too dumb to cross code differences, cannot help us see the possible connections. (Incidently, the “shibboleth” incident in Judges was a difference between a sin/shin and samekh.)

(I believe that the samekh originally had the “ks” sound. Evidences for it are its place in the alphabet and form were the same as the letter carrying the “ks” sound in those other languages that adopted the alphabet, and in Ezra in his Hebrew sections and Nehemiah used it to transliterate where other languages (in particular Greek) used their letter “x”. Interestingly, in Aramaic, Ezra used sin/shin.)

Karl W. Randolph.