[b-hebrew] Hebrew with Aramaic, Phoenician etc in scholarly publications

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 16 14:47:02 EDT 2003

On 16/07/2003 11:32, Trevor Peterson wrote:

>>===== Original Message From Peter Kirk <peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com> =====
>>Trevor, I think you are failing to appreciate properly the field of
>>comparative linguistics.
>>

>How so? Do you seriously think I could have studied Ugaritic without it?

And you studied Ugaritic only in its cuneiform orthography?

>Perhaps more intelligent than some, but there are a lot of problems in this
>area. To make intelligent use of the comparative data cited in a lexicon, you
>have to take it as a hint, a suggestion, a proposition that may or may not be
>correct. You don't just accept the connection and go on with life. ...

Well, fools turn the best data into folly (is that in Proverbs
somewhere?), but the intelligent always take this kind of data with a
pinch of salt. Anyway, if it isn't obvious already, Bennett teaches you
to do so.

peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/