[b-hebrew] Hebrew with Aramaic, Phoenician etc in scholarly publications

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 16 11:00:45 EDT 2003

On 16/07/2003 07:40, Trevor Peterson wrote:

>Peter, you and I have been through this issue before (on this list, I
>believe). I'm personally inclined to agree with Sokoloff that producing Syriac
>script is desirable in an Aramaic lexicon, if not also in a Hebrew one. But
>I'm not sure that the editors of HALOT, for instance, share this sentiment.
>They transcribe comparative evidence everywhere in Latin except where square
>script is appropriate. Perhaps it was ony because of the lead type issue, but
>I suspect that it was also the desire to make the material *appear* less
>opaque to those untrained in these languages. This desire will probably remain
>a factor in publishing, regardless of where technology goes. Fortunately for
>this discussion, Syriac and Arabic are already established in Unicode. I would
>not generally advocate the use of script fonts for epigraphic material, but I
>consider manuscript traditions another matter.
>
>Trevor Peterson
>CUA/Semitics

Well, personally I would be opposed to use of alphabets other than
Hebrew and Latin in a Hebrew-English dictionary. Users of a dictionary
should not be presumed to know languages or their scripts other than the
dictionary's source and target languages and their scripts. I find the
Syriac and Ethiopic forms in BDB annoying, though I can manage the
Arabic ones. Similarly, in a paper discussing languages X and Y, it may
be appropriate to set material in the scripts of languages X and Y as
well as in the script of the main text of the paper, but the different
script of language Z should not normally be used, in my opinion. I hope
that the Unicode support for multiple scripts doesn't lead to scholars
and typesetters showing off their abilities at the expense of the end user.

But the question I asked was not what we think should be done, but what
actually is done, or perhaps what would be done apart from purely
mechanical typographical restrictions.

peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/