[b-hebrew] Hebrew with Aramaic, Phoenician etc in scholarly publications

Trevor & Julie Peterson 06peterson at cua.edu
Wed Jul 16 05:51:58 EDT 2003

Peter wrote:

> So, my question at last is: Are there scholarly publications (more
> recent than BDB!) which quote inscriptional Aramaic, Phoenician,
> Samaritan, paleo-Hebrew etc as well as Hebrew? In such cases, what
> scripts are used for Aramaic, Phoenician etc? BDB (1906) quoted these
> and even south Arabian inscriptions in Hebrew script. But what is the
> modern practice? Are ancient alphabets (other than Hebrew, Arabic,
> Syriac etc which are in  modern use) ever used in such publications?
Are
> these languages ever transcribed in Hebrew script, or only in Latin
> script transliteration? I am interested in practice in Israeli
journals
> in modern Hebrew as well as in journals in western languages.

As far as I know, they are normally transcribed in Latin or Hebrew
letters. There may be some need for Samaritan as its own script, but
generally speaking the epigraphic scripts are better hand-drawn where
necessary. BTW, has there been any talk about introducing non-Tiberian
vowel points for Hebrew and Aramaic? I'm thinking particularly of the
Babylonian pointing system.

Trevor Peterson
CUA/Semitics