[b-hebrew] Which of the two?

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Jul 15 23:41:55 EDT 2003

Dear Yigal:

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that the Masorites invented their points out of whole cloth, i.e. that they invented the vocalizations, just that they invented the points to illustrate the vocalizations that they were using. There is indication that the vocalizations changed over time, and my understanding is that the Mazorites froze the vocalizations that were handed to them.

However, I believe that there is evidence that the vocalizations have changed over time. We find one evidence preserved in the Byzantine tradition Gospels in transliterations of names showing differences of pronunciation between Galilee and Judea. From linguistics the theory is that backward places (like Galilee) tend to preserve older pronunciations than preserved in the cultural centers, and so we find that the Masorites preserved the Judean pronunciations, i.e. those from the cultural center. I believe that other letters have changed their pronunciations as well.

Therefore I find myself questioning Masoritic vocalizations: are they accurate (some obviously are not)? However, the consonants are from an older tradition and I’m trying an experiment, do I read the text differently when not encumbered with the Masoritic dots than when they are present? So far the main difference seems to be a simplification of grammar while still getting a clear meaning. But a second difference is that I tend to concentrate on meaning instead of taking time questioning the vocalizations.

Yours, Karl W. Randolph.