[b-hebrew] Which of the two?

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 15 15:04:26 EDT 2003

On 15/07/2003 11:56, Karl Randolph wrote:

>Dear Yigal:
>
>After reading several verses where the text made better sense using different dots than what the Masorites inserted, I started reading an unpointed text. Therefore in this question, an unpointed text supports a plural reading as well as singular, and the plural fits the context better.
>
>In the face of what I think is overwhelming contextual evidence that “my servants” should be read as plural, does anyone have any clue why the Masorites made this a singular?
>
>Karl W. Randolph.

Don't blame the Masoretes. LXX has a singular here, many centuries
before the Masoretes. Presumably this was the reading tradition from an
early date. By ignoring the Masoretic pointing you are ignoring this
very ancient reading tradition, one which may go back to the original
authors.

peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/