[b-hebrew] Rahab's Guests

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 15 05:59:11 EDT 2003

On 14/07/2003 16:50, Jim West wrote:

>At 04:05 PM 7/14/03 -0400, you wrote:
>

>>Perhaps you should investigate the cultural context prior to being so
>>defamatory.
>>

>>>Paul H. Belanger
>>>

>Interesting comment.  What it fails to recognize is that the cultural
>context demands a rather harsh judgment on the actions of these women.  It
>is only a modern deification of biblical characters which blinds eisegetes
>into seeing angels where there are none.  And where the biblical authors
>intended us to see none.
>
>It is, however, fairly common in some circles to denounce interpretations of
>texts which do not harmonize with piety.
>
>Jim
>
>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
>Jim West
>Quartz Hill School of Theology
>Adjunct Professor of Biblical Studies
>
>Biblical Studies Resources
>http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

I agree with you, Jim, except that this kind of deification is not just
modern. It is certainly attested in ancient times. I don't want to give
some of the clearest examples as they might offend Christians and
Muslims. But arguably the process had started already when the books of
Chronicles were written, as they considerably clean up the mixed
pictures of David and Solomon found in Samuel and Kings.

peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/