[b-hebrew] Constellations in Job

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Jul 14 19:24:39 EDT 2003

Is there any reason there should be a mention of the zodiac constellations?

The constellations of the zodiac were chosen as part of astrology. The picture given in Job is of a person who worshipped the God of Israel, even though he may not have been Israelite himself. We find numerous references in Tenakh forbidding practicing astrology, so would we not almost expect that if constellations are mentioned in Job (as they are to show God’s greatness), that they would exclude any from the zodiac?

Karl W. Randolph.