[b-hebrew] Rahab's Guests

Yigal Levin Yigal-Levin at utc.edu
Mon Jul 14 15:33:09 EDT 2003

At 01:57 PM 7/11/2003 -0700, CS Bartholomew wrote:
>The pattern "wayyi$kebu-$ammah"  the verb followed by the particle are found
>in Josh. 2:1, 1Sam. 26:5, 2Kings 4:11, 2Kings 9:16, Ruth 3:4.
>
>Not clear to me that this has a sexual connotation even if it is found in a
>context where this is possible. I wonder if the particle+suffix $ammah
>weighs in favor of the sexual reading or against it?

Hi Clay,

Obviously not every use of the verb $kb means "to have sex", just like in
modern English people can "sleep together" quite immocently. In 1Sam. 26:5,
2Kings 4:11 and 2Kings 9:16 the context makes it clear that no
"hanky-panky" is involved. But the sexual innuendoes of Ruth 3:4 are quite
clear. In the case of Rahab's "guests", as I said, the author is using a
pun to show how the men "screwed up" - even if he doesn't mean it literally.

Yigal

Dr. Yigal Levin
Dept. of Philosophy and Religion
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga