[b-hebrew] Potiphar's title

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Fri Jul 11 08:55:22 EDT 2003

On 11/07/2003 05:49, Karl Randolph wrote:

>Dear Peter Kirk:
>
>Whoops! It was the historicity and dating that provided some of the clues I see that sparked the discussion based on my view that Hebrew, while continuing as the language of religion, government and high literature, was no longer the language of market, field nor hearth after the Galut Babel. (I don’t intend to start that discussion again.)
>
>I suspect that you mean that discussions of historicity and dating are off topic except where linguistically relevant, and even then limited to civil discussion. If one accepts the traditional dating and historicity of the Bible, there are different linguistic patterns observable than if one prefers those concepts of historicity and dating provided by modern theories, therefore such discussion is linguistically relevant. But I can see the point not to argue that others must accept our view or be considered faulty in reasoning.
>
>Yours, Karl W. Randolph.

Karl, I think you are right here, but I am not a moderator. I made that
comment to make the point that I didn't want to discuss the issues which
Walter had just raised, which were not language related. The moderators
usually allow some civil discussion of historicity and dating when
related to language, but have intervened in the past when the link to
language has been lost.

peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/