[b-hebrew] Potiphar's title

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Fri Jul 11 00:34:59 EDT 2003

Dear Dave and All:

As a person who has had only one year of Biblical Hebrew and no more, no Akkadian, no modern Hebrew (it looks more foreign to me than Yiddish), not even Mishnaic Hebrew, I am painfully aware of my limitations.

However, as a lexicographer as far as my limited knowledge of Hebrew is concerned, I notice that there are over 40 verses in the Bible which mention the word SRYS. Only one passage, Isaiah 56:3–5, does it imply that the SRYS has no children. All the others indicate that the person in question merely is in the king’s (or queen’s) court. Some, such as Genesis 37:36, 39:1 (both concerning Potiphar) imply that he was not an eunoch, most others leave the question unanswered.

As far as interchanging samech with sin/shin, we need look no further than Judges 12:6 where a dialectal pronunciation within Hebrew showed the same shift.

As far as insisting that similar words in different languages have exactly the same meaning, I look at $KX—in Hebrew it meant “forget” while in Akkadian “find”. If a word so common had so different meanings, we should be careful about all such words. Likewise just because the Akkadian word in question here meant eunoch does not necessarily mean that the Hebrew word meant the same.

As far as the source of SRYS, whether originally from Hebrew or an Akkadian loan word, I think there is too little evidence either way. Abraham may have already known the word, from a common Semitic stock.

That’s my 2¢ worth.

Karl W. Randolph.