[b-hebrew] Potiphar's title

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 10 19:30:35 EDT 2003

On 10/07/2003 15:17, Stephen C. Carlson wrote:

>I weighed into state that there is indeed a method for
>distinguishing cognates from loanwords, rather than the
>all-or-nothing approach that seems to be being argued
>in other messages in the thread.
>
>I agree that, in a thread discussion such as this, citing
>the relevant authorities is sufficient to shift the onus
>on the one challenging the scholarly consensus.  In my own
>defence, I must have missed the post where you did exactly
>that!

I had earlier quoted from the TWOT entry including its own reference to
TDNT. Then I mentioned BDB and K-B. A reasonable set of authorities, I
think.

>Just because there is a "consensus", that does not make it
>true.  It may be worthwhile to follow up the cites and re-
>evaluate the analysis behind the commonly accepted result,
>particularly if it had gone unchallenged for a century.
>Methods and assumptions do change, after all, so the analysis
>that produced the result may no longer be acceptable today.
>Sometimes, it may even turn out that no analysis had in
>fact been done originally.

Absolutely! But I didn't say the analysis had only be done more than a
century ago, just that it was first done then. HALOT (K-B) cite
references in this etymology:

Akk. /ša rēši/ “the one at the head” (pl. /šūt rēši/ vSoden /Gramm/.
§46d; MSL 8/1:74) which includes steward, director, and later eunuch
(AHw. 974a)

vSoden /Gramm/. = W. von Soden, Grundriss der akkadischen Grammatik,
Rome 1952
MSL = B. Landsberger, Materialen zum sumerischen Lexicon, Rome 1937–
AHw = W. von Soden, Akkadisches Handwörterbuch, Wiesbaden 1965–

Not 21st century scholarship, but not 19th century either. See also
Rab-Saris, 2 Ki 18:17, in a list of Assyrian titles.

>Please be sure that I am not suggesting that the responsibility
>for this following-up be imposed on you, Peter.  You did your
>part.  Let the challenger, if he is still interested, do his.

Well, I just did some of it. Let any remaining challengers take it further.

peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/