[b-hebrew] Potiphar's title

Michael Banyai Banyai at t-online.de
Thu Jul 10 16:58:08 EDT 2003

Dear Peter,

Akkadian is a large word. Since not even the worst adepts of a maximalist view would sustain the idea, that biblical hebrew antedated the Akkadian, the fact whether saris is or not an Akkadian loan-word uninteresting to pinpoint the bible on the 7th century.

Should you try to become more specific, and say saris is a word existing only in the neo-Assyrian begining by the 7th century, than of course its loan ought postdate this evolution within the "Akkadian".

Othwerwise we should state frankly, there is no subject for this thread.

About Akkadian we speak beginning by the empire of Sargon of Akkade. At which time point did it penetrate into the Hewbrew lexic? Can you make a concrete statement about this time point?

Second, Walter´s was that the loanword itself would mark the date of creation of the work, what I doubt. How can you demonstrate the redactional evolution of the work in your sense?

All the best,

Bányai Michael
Stuttgart