[b-hebrew] Potiphar's title (fwd)

Michael Banyai Banyai at t-online.de
Thu Jul 10 12:56:44 EDT 2003

Dear Walter,

what you use is a garbled methodoloy:

in the case of Egyptian it is easy to recognise loanwords which come from other ANE-languages, since Egyptian is strictly different from them. A word-loan from Semitic to Egyptian or the other way round is a clear thing. But a loanword from Semitic to Semitic is not such a trivial issue. First of all, what one would need, would be a profound knowledge based on non-Biblical evidence (which is here at stake). This large lexical evidence lacks entirely. How many Hebrew words are attested epigraphically for the ages before the 7th century BC?

So what?

We are comparing some lexical Assyrian fetches with exactly the biblical lexic we intend to date. Would there be any correlation between the development of both languages...

This is of a kind of Münchhausen attempt to pull oneself out of the water by pulling oneself by his own hairs.

Furthermore you are making preassumptions about the redactional history of the books you intend to date, without which preassumptions all your "little discoveries" are but trivia.

Regards,

Bányai Michael