[b-hebrew] Potiphar's title

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 10 10:21:10 EDT 2003

On 10/07/2003 06:57, Walter R. Mattfeld wrote:

>Peter Kirk wrote:
>
>"No, Walter, this does not follow. In the Genesis account, it is not
>Egyptians calling Potiphar a saris, it is the Hebrew author who is using
>a Hebrew word, chosen as the best equivalent in Hebrew for Potiphar's
>Egyptian title or rank. So we should look not for when the word might
>have come into use in Egyptian, but when it might have come into use in
>Hebrew."
>
>Dear Peter,
>
>When did Assyria come to dominate the land of Canaan and Israel/Judah,
>introducing the Assyrian titularly _sa resi_ to the Hebrew vocabulary ? By
>721 BCE Israel is carried off into Exile by the Assyrians and Judah falls to
>the Babylonians in 586 BCE. It would appear to me that the 9th-6th centuries
>would be the most likely time frame for an Assyrian title for a "governor"
>to be introduced into the Hebrew vocabulary.

Now you are putting forward a sensible argument, based on the use of the
word in Israel and not in Egypt. But the most you can prove by this kind
of argument is that there was a final redaction of Genesis after this
kind of date (already suggested by 36:31 etc), when possibly an archaic
term was replaced by one in more current use.

>Professor Redford examined the history of Egyptian names appearing in
>Genesis, noting WHEN these names FIRST appeared in Egyptian records. The
>viewing audience may have an interest in his observations :

As discussions of historicity and dating are off topic for this list,
and as mockery of those who according to you 'see themselves as
"defenders of Holy Writ"' most certainly is, I will not comment further.

peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/