[b-hebrew] Potiphar's Title

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 10 06:55:05 EDT 2003

On 10/07/2003 03:14, Walter R. Mattfeld wrote:

>If the preceeding observations are of any merit, and on target, it follows
>that the "Joseph Novella" found in Genesis would have been composed sometime
>AFTER 671 BCE. ...

No, Walter, this does not follow. In the Genesis account, it is not
Egyptians calling Potiphar a saris, it is the Hebrew author who is using
a Hebrew word, chosen as the best equivalent in Hebrew for Potiphar's
Egyptian title or rank. So we should look not for when the word might
have come into use in Egyptian, but when it might have come into use in
Hebrew.

In KJV Nehemiah (5:14) is appointed "governor in the land of Judah". The
English word "governor" probably came into use in that land after 1917.
By your argument, KJV was translated after 1917.

peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/