[b-hebrew] Gen. 39:1 Potiphar's title

jacksonpollock at earthlink.net jacksonpollock at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 10 01:16:29 EDT 2003

On 7/9/03 8:35 PM, "Bearpecs at aol.com" <Bearpecs at aol.com> wrote:

> Friends,
> I am forwarding from another email list, with permission, the email below
> related to Genesis 39:1, specifically the reference to Potiphar.  I include
> the
> whole email for context without any intent of beginning a discussion of the
> philosophical issue raised.  The piece I hope to get some insights about is
> Potiphar's title (or is it just a description?) and translation thereof.
> Thanks

SRYS(saris) is translated most often in the LXX as EUNOUCOS (Gen. 39:1) or
ARCIEUNOUCOS (Dan 1:7) but also as SPADWN (Gen. 37:6). This is a likely
explanation for the Vulgate use of eunuchus in Gen. 39:1.

According to R.D. Patterson (TWOT p. 635) the LXX/Vulgate rendering is a
misunderstanding of the term which he reads as (court) official based on an
Akkadian title sa resi "the one at the king's head."

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew