[b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27

Ben and Jo Crick ben.crick at argonet.co.uk
Thu Jul 3 16:08:19 EDT 2003

On Thu  3 Jul 2003 (06:31:30), peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com wrote:
> I am now wondering if "wrath" or "anger" is actually a correct
> translation of qetseph in such a context. It certainly doesn't seem to
> fit well in Esther 1:18 and Ecc/Qoh 5:16 (English 5:17), the two cases
> noted in BDB as "of man (late)". Something more like "anxiety" or "fear"
> would fit better in those contexts as well as in 2Ki 3:27. This seems
> to fit the sense of the Syriac cognate.

 Thank you, Peter. I would agree with you. Each word in Hebrew has an Euler
 Circle round it, which does not fit the Euler Circles around our English
 lexical equivalents.

 I daresay that the author of 2 Kings found recording that train of events
 quite distasteful, and so he glossed over it in haste: leaving us wondering
 what it all means.

 I always find your input edifying.

 Ben
 <ben.crick at argonet.co.uk>