[b-hebrew] KHEREM vs MOLOKH

Peter Kirk peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
Sat Jul 5 06:53:15 EDT 2003

On 05/07/2003 03:38, Jonathan D. Safren wrote:

>>Michael Millier <deborahmillier at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>... do you not think that KHEREM has an underlying
>>>idea of human sacrifice (to YHWH?!?!)?  From the
>>>word's various contexts, I think I'm inclined to
>>>believe so.
>>>

>The original connotation of the root is "holy", similar to qd$.
>The Temple Mount in Jerusalem is today called in Arabic al-haram esh-$arif
>(in earlier sources it is called bayt el-maqdas = beit ha-miqda$).
>Sincerely,
>Jonathan D. Safren, Editor
>Mo'ed - Annual for Jewish Studies
>Center for Jewish Culture
>Beit Berl College
>Beit Berl Post Office
>44905 Israel
>Tel. 972-9-7476396
>e-mail: moed at beitberl.ac.il
>Tel. 972-9-7476396

Yes, and a harem, from the same Arabic root (via Turkish to English), is
a place of separation for women. But there are some important
distinctions between the Hebrew and Arabic concepts of HRM, I remember
seeing a paper about this a few years ago. Arabic HRM can actually seem
to be rather the opposite of holy, e.g. haram is used of food etc which
should be kept separate from i.e. not to be eaten and considered
disgusting, the opposite of halal which is equivalent to kosher (except
for a few small differences re camels etc).

peter.r.kirk at ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/