[b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Thu Jul 3 17:39:29 EDT 2003

To All:

What one learns from debate.

This one caused me to go back to my concordance. I still have a copy of Lisowski’s.

First I noticed that QCP when used as a verb is almost always followed by (L (ayen lamed) followed by the object (person or thing) upon which the fury falls.

Secondly, as a verb, it is always from a superior onto an inferior, e.g. pharoah onto his baker and cupbearer, God onto Israel.

As a noun the line is not as clear though understood, again from a superior onto an inferior. But it is often left to the context and the reader to recognize the superior and inferior as they are often not explicitly stated in the text.

Looking at the exact meaning of QCP, it appears to mean fury, with a dash of disgust mixed in with a desire for vengeance. It is the action of a superior who is angered, yet disgusted, with the disobedience of his inferior and who is willing to act out vengeance (punishment) upon that disobedient inferior.

Now let’s look at 2 Kings 3. It starts with Joram becoming King and still an idol worshipper, hence already worthy of QCP. Then in verse 4 Mesha of Moab, another idolater, rebels against Joram. In verse 9 he takes along the king of Edom, another idolater, and Hezekiah, many of whose people continued their idolatry even though Hezekiah himself followed Yahweh. Elisha’s reaction in verse 13–14 clearly indicates that God was ready to doom the whole army of Israel and Edom to death, but the presence of Hezekiah spares their lives. There was already QCP (L Y$R)L (qetsep al yisrael), King Mesha’s sacrifice of his son was merely incidental, not the cause, thereof. Though could God’s fury have been inflamed further as the people reverently stood by while Mesha performed his sacrifice? Where were the arrows or slung stones to try to stop it? That they were close enough to recognize the players meant they were close enough to shoot arrows, maybe even close enough to throw a javelin or
 two. So why did they allow that religious ceremony to go through uninterrupted? That would infuriate God.

Those are my thoughts.

Karl W. Randolph.
http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers