[b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27

c stirling bartholomew cc.constantine at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jul 3 17:00:03 EDT 2003

on 7/3/03 11:35 AM, Liz Fried wrote:

> I still think the simplest explanation is the plain reading of the text:
> A "wrath" [from Chemosh] came upon them [because of the efficacy
> of the sacrifice], and they left.
> I tend to stick to the peshat and to the literal meaning of texts.

Setting aside all the historical, source & redaction critical issues, Liz's
proposal is intriguing. I don't buy the notion of YHWH being a local deity
but the idea of something-out-there responding to the sacrifice fits in with
what people exposed to contemporary manifestations of paganism have
reported. I agree with Liz that we should not rule out of hand the notion
that something which breaks the mold can take place. What about Saul's
talking to the dead? That is not a very tidy detail either.

greetings, Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point