[b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27

Yigal Levin Yigal-Levin at utc.edu
Wed Jul 2 15:41:31 EDT 2003

Liz,

Where else in the Hebrew Bible, and especially in the DH, do you see a
foreign deity "defeating" Yahweh? Whenever Israel is defeated, it's because
they have sinned and the enemy is serving as Yahweh's tool. Which is
exactly why later exegetes tried to find a sin that Israel would have been
guilty of, only in this story none is specified. That's why I don't
understand the story.

By the way, the Moabite god is Cheomosh. Milchom, a.k.a. Molech, is Ammonite.

As for Dave's suggestion, I just don't see it in the text. Besides, I find
it hard to picture any ancient soldiers as being so faint-hearted.

Yigal