FW: [b-hebrew] qetseph in 2Ki 3:27

Kirk Lowery klowery at wts.edu
Wed Jul 2 12:48:26 EDT 2003

Jonathan D. Safren wrote:
> Gentlemen, please!
> Hebrew font has its uses and transliteration has its uses. I use both in my
> work, depending upon the circumstances.
> It will be very useful for members of this list to download a browser which
> can read Hebrew letters. That doesn't mean that every communication need use
> Hebrew letters. Or the opposite.
> Indeed, however, list rules should be modified so as to allow BOTH Hebrew
> fonts and trasliteration.

At the risk of over-emphasizing this issue, let me reiterate: there is
*no* prohibition of using non-ascii font encodings on b-hebrew! The
transliteration scheme used for so many years here (and all of its
variants) came into use because until very recently there was no other
practical alternative for communication.

The reason for using transliteration is so that *everyone* may
participate in the discussion. We do not want to marginalize anyone
simply because they don't control their computing environment. Not
everyone has the ability to upgrade to the most modern software
because their machines are controled by IT departments of educational
institutions and corporations. Others are hampered by poor bandwidth
or very old hardware. We are a global list, and must consider the
level of technology everywhere.

Feel free to include Unicode (or other encodings) of Hebrew
characters. Just be sure to include transliterations, too, so that all
may read, understand and respond. It will increase the number who may
respond and is simple courtesy. (Which is what the original poster
did, to his credit.)

I will consult with the other moderators about a roadmap and timeline
for change. If you have opinions or suggestions for that transition,
please email any of us off-list.

Blessings,

Kirk
B-Hebrew co-chair
--
Kirk E. Lowery, Ph.D.
Director, Westminster Hebrew Institute

Theorie ist, wenn man alles weiss und nichts klappt.
Praxis ist, wenn alles klappt und keiner weiss warum.
Bei uns sind Theorie und Praxis vereint:
nichts klappt und keiner weiss warum!