[b-hebrew] "Hosanna in the highest" in Hebrew?

Bearpecs at aol.com Bearpecs at aol.com
Tue Dec 23 22:46:14 EST 2003

Wouldn't it make sense to think that NT use of hosanna appropriately reflects
the cry of "hosha` na" addressed to someone considered to be the messiah by
the callers?  What doesn't make sense is "in the highest", which seems to
indicate that the expression "hosha` na" was misunderstood as a call of praise
rather than petition.
I wonder if Greek-speaking Jews were using it in the Hallel (psalms of
praise) as part of the liturgy, and just didn't understand the literal meaning.  (I
suppose many English-speaking Jews today would make a similar mistake.)  They
then simple used it to express praise, and added "in the highest" to make it
superlative.