[b-hebrew] Understanding BHS text! (apologies for the cross-posting)

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Dec 17 06:09:43 EST 2003

On 16/12/2003 22:17, Yousaf Sadiq wrote:

>Dear James,
>
>Thanks for your reply.  I asked the same question to both lists for the
>following reasons:
>
>A) I can not read Biblical Greek and have introductory knowledge of Biblical
>Hebrew but I don't understand critical apparatus found in the BHS. I would
>like to compare the available translations in local languages with original
>languages, to find the differences and also reasons behind those
>differences.
>
>B) All of those translations are pre-critical.  Such data will help to
>improve the existing translations.  The subject of Biblical criticism is
>unfamiliar and is not taught or talked about in the local theological
>institutions/seminaries.
>
>C) I am interested in collecting such data for my personal information and
>have better understanding of the text in the original languages.  I like to
>find what the scholars say or have written about such passages.
>
>I hope this is helpful.
>
>Yousaf.

Yousaf and others, you might be interested in the following, which I
just received in the UBS e-publication TIC Talk,
http://www.ubs-translations.org/tictalk/ubstic.html:

      Distance Learning Course on Textual Criticism

The Faculty of Theology of Leiden University announces a new *Distance
Learning Course on Textual History and Textual Criticism*, and provides
the following description: Everyone working in the field of Bible
translation will be acquainted with the problem of defining the source
text of the translation: What is the textual basis for translation and
interpretation of the Bible? In the case of the Old Testament: Is it the
vocalized Masoretic Text, the Hebrew consonantal text, or the earliest
retrievable original text, which is the result of a systematic analysis
of the textual witnesses available, including the Dead Sea Scrolls and
the ancient translations of the Bible? Modern Bible translations reflect
different views about this question (compare for example the inclusion
of a passage between 1 Sam 10 and 1 Sam 11 in the NRSV on the basis of
the Qumran material). To give Bible translators and biblical scholars
the opportunity to deepen their knowledge of the text critical and text
historical issues of the Old Testament, the Faculty of Theology of
Leiden University has taken the initiative to start a Distance Learning
Course on Textual History and Textual Criticism of the Old Testament.
For information see http://www.leiden.edu/index.php3?c=620 or contact
the coordinator of the Distance Learning project, Dr. Wido van Peursen
at mailto:w.t.van.peursen at let.leidenuniv.nl

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/